2. 主流网络游戏仍然是大型多人在线角色扮演游戏 (MMORPG)。报告说，今年10月，中国最热门的10款网络游戏中有6款都属于大型多人在线角色扮演游戏。动视暴雪(Activision Blizzard)开发的《魔兽世界》(World of Warcraft)在注册用户和最高同时在线人数方面仍然排名榜首。但报告指出，目前围绕着这款游戏大陆运营权的政府监管纷争可能会给《魔兽世界》带来负面影响。网易公司目前持有《魔兽世界》的中国大陆独家运营权。
3. Snapchat on Tuesday launched Discover, a section of its app where media outlets including Vice, CNN andPeople magazine can publish video content within Snapchat. Already several of the channels feature ads, which aren’t cheap. According to Adweek, Snapchat ads cost $750,000 per day.
6. To Craig Bennett, Abigail Baird, Michael Miller, and George Wolford for demonstrating that brain researchers, using a combination of complicated equipment and simple statistics, can find meaningful brain activity anywhere, even in a dead fish.
1. Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) announced that it would put $30 billion of its cash toward share repurchases. The news made investors happy: The stock popped, and even a week later was up 12% relative to the S&P over that same 7-day period. The buybacks were part of a larger $130 billion capital return program that the company said would extend through 2015.
3. Also called self-driving cars, autonomous cars have been making the news recently. Chief among them are Google's self-driving cars. Google's driverless cars have traveled over 480,000 kilometers (300,000 mi) with only two accidents, both of which were caused by humans. But self-driving cars aren't new. In fact, their concepts have arguably been around since the days of Leonardo da Vinci, who invented a spring-powered cart with a programmable steering device.
4. How much time? And to what extent will bitcoin, in seeking wide adoption as a currency and as a protocol for new applications, face the hurdle of mainstream consumers’ lack of understanding? Adam Ludwin suggests that people don’t need to understand how the technology works to appreciate it. “It has the quality of early Internet,” he says. “People don’t actually know anything about how it works, but they don’t need to know, or care. They just know they turn their computer on and can check email.”
Domain name registrar GoDaddy, which is based in Scottsdale, Ariz., broke ground in May on its new Global Technology Center in Tempe. GoDaddy already employs 2, 600 people in the Greater Phoenix area and the new facility is expected to add 300 more. Other companies expanding in Arizona include Asurion, a leader in technology protection services. They opened a new technical support center in Phoenix and want to fill 500 jobs by the end of the year. Energy provider Direct Energy opened a new call center in Tempe this year and is looking to fill as many as 300 openings.
SETTING: This house is in Kenwood, a neighborhood of 19th- and 20th-century Tudors, Mediterraneans, Victorians and colonial-style houses between Cedar Lake and Lake of the Isles, in the city’s Chain of Lakes. Roads are curving; sidewalks are lined with maple and ash trees. According to the listing agent, many of the neighborhood’s older houses have been restored, while houses built within the last 30 years have been torn down and replaced.